Friday, March 28, 2008

It's New All Over Again!

The other day I was looking for a CD and came across some Pink Floyd that I hadn't listened to in a long time, specifically San Tropez from Meddle. I quickly picked up my guitar and was able to play along. But from there I listened to Animals and Wish You Were Here. It brought back a lot of memories of the care-free days of youth, sitting around during the summer listening to music and playing the drums. That reminds me of how we used to play croquette in the front yard of the LaHerrans house while they had the stereo blaring so we could hear it out front. The joys of the record player.
But I digress. You know, my brothers and I got pretty hardcore into the progressive rock scene, listening to Pink Floyd, Genesis (before Phil Collins took over), and I got really into Yes' Yessongs for a couple years. My older brother Carl enjoyed some of the psychedelic  Pink Floyd, where I thought a lot of it sounded like noise. Meddle and on were what I enjoyed. My sophomore year of high school is when I had my Yes thing going on. I recall spring break of 1982 I was supposed to go with 2 of my brothers and our dad to Disneyland. The day of the trip I woke with a sore throat and opted out. Of course I was ridiculed by my brother, Carl, but it proved to be a smart move because I had the worst strep throat bout of my life! The whole week I laid around listening to all three records (yes, it was 3 records!) of Yessongs. So anytime I hear Yes, I think of that wonderful week. 
The whole jist of this is that hearing it again, it all sounded  great and made me realize how awesome David Gilmour really is at guitar. Seeing him from a recent concert that my brother has, made me happy that certain rock icons are also smart; he has very short gray hair, well what's left of it. Peter Frampton chose to do the same. Dignity sometimes is a good thing.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Close to the edge, round by the corner...
Not right away, not right away
Close to the edge, down by a river...
Not right away, not right away

I get up. I get down.


Love comes to you and then after
Dream on on to the heart of the sunrise
Sharp-distance
How can the sun with its arms all around Me
Sharp-distance
How can the wind with so many around me
I feel lost in the city


There is some great Yes from the '70s.