Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Some Happenings

So here are some happenings that have been happening...
The Olympics are on. Phelps rocks. Stupid French swim team. Some Jamaican dude is really fast yet really cocky. The American Gymnasts are getting ripped off. Guo Jing Jing and Dong Dong are my 2 favorite Chinese athletes.
I had a birthday dinner the other night at Maccaroni Grill. The Wakefields were in their car and we followed them. We being Teresa, Chantel (this was part of her birthday dinner) and myself. When we got into the restaurant there were a bunch of friends waiting- the Grovers, Frands(t)en's, Hatch's, Roberts, and Clegg's. We sat at the end of the table,  so I really didn't get to say much to anyone, but it was fun and fattening (they brought Chantel and I a couple big pieces of cake, and you know me, I am a cake-a-holic). I am honored to have such great friends and neighbors.
On Saturday morning the wind was blowing 200 mph. That may be a wee exaggeration, but not by much. I managed a pretty fast 5 mile run, but then did a huge number of walking lunges with 60 lbs. Holy crap, Sunday I was so sore I thought I was going to die. Then on Monday Jayton and I went running in the canyon. I couldn't run! I was taking little strides because I hurt so bad. Ah, there's nothing like a crappy run to make you feel really dissatisfied. 
So we had a 9:15 PM softball game last night. I have been playing catcher this go around and am fine with it. I only got out once and that was a line drive right at the 3rd baseman. It is also pretty fun having my brother, Carl, there playing, too. If only he could run! But we 10-runned this team. We are 3-1. Last week we were a little flat and lost a game we probably could have won.
Rob Clegg was released as the 2nd Counselor in our Bishopric on Sunday. This was really hard for me because he has been in this since we were called almost 5 years ago! He is now on the High Council and I can't wait for him to come speak at our ward! 
You know, we saw The Dark Knight and I still don't know why everyone is so freaked out by it. I didn't think it was so "dark and creepy". Geeze, have you ever watched 24? Way more violence and such there.
Chuck will be coming back this fall! 
Jason Russell let me know it's Robert Plant's birthday. He is 60! The Zeppelin memories go way back. I always crack up thinking of my brother trying to tell my dad (who HATED rock music; he was a classical music and Marty Robbins fan) what a nice easy album Led Zeppelin IV was--Carl was obviously trying to tout Stairway as the "easy". I remember having that album on my dad's stereo just blasting When the Levee Breaks so the whole neighborhood could hear. And I think that was when I was in 5th grade. Good times. One time my dad got really hacked off to see my Joe Walsh You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind on his turntable. He picked it up and chucked it down the hallway. The record actually got stuck between the wall and baseboard as it scraped both side of the album on it's roll down the hall. But, as soon as dad was gone, another record would go on the turntable. Rock on!   

1 comment:

Jason said...

Mean old lady, taught me to weep and moan!

The chocolate cake at Mac Grill is deadly. I'm glad you survived.

What's a record player? Is that a digital device that tells you the times of Michael Phelps' world records?