Sunday, August 31, 2008

Snyder's Down!

So last Monday (Aug. 25th) it was fairly hot and I was sick of running in the hot weather. The previous Saturday I had ridden my bike and thought I would go for a ride again. And so I set off. I went to Main Street then down 1200 South to the roundabout through UVU and then along 1200 West by the freeway. I was cruising about 20 mph when I came up to College Road. I saw a white car coming south and was going to turn left onto College Rd. but obviously she didn't see me because she turned right in front of me! I grabbed my brakes and for a brief moment thought I might make it around the back of the car. I locked up and knew I was going to eat it either into the asphalt or the car. I started to endo a wee bit then SLAM! right into the car! It immediately felt like someone had hit me in the lower back with a sledge hammer and my right shoulder was on fire. My right knee started throbbing as well. I got up off the hot pavement and started heading over to the grass. The driver got out of the car and asked, "Are you alright?" to which I said "No! I'm not alright!!!" Then the driver asked if she should call an ambulance to which I said Uh, Yeah! A guy who saw the whole thing grabbed my bike and laid it next to me. I reached over and grabbed my cell phone and called home. My daughter Abby answered and I blurted out "I've been hit! Get Mom!" Teresa got on and I repeated that I was hit. I tried to explain where I was and suddenly there were 2 ambulances and the fire chief right there so I hung up. They just happened to be on their way back from a call, drove by and did a double-take, saw me writhing on the ground and stopped. They asked where I hurt and I told them my lower back, so they rolled me onto my side. I felt the hot flow of blood run down. They started cutting my clothes and got very excited about the gash on my back, saying things like "Whoa! That's pretty amazing. Oh, it keeps on going! Hey, it drops down...you'll want a picture of this!" Then they got quiet and started talking about facia and muscle and spine and that's when I got worried.
Well, I was placed on a board, had my neck in that big brace and had my head and chin taped to the board as well. I was loaded up and off to Utah Valley Medical Center. Teresa came down 800 South and couldn't see anything and left to go to the hospital. She was freaking out a bit, not realizing where she was going. Chelsea was with her and said "Mom, do you want me to drive?". I had the paramedics call Chelsea's cell phone to tell them where we were going. They were at the emergency room already waiting.
When we got there, they took quick x-rays of my shoulder, wrist and knee. They cut off all the rest of my clothes, too. So, when your mother tells you to always wear clean underwear, well, do it! I was taken into another room to have an MRI done real quick to make sure my spine was OK and then I came back in and an ultrasound was performed to make sure my organs were OK, too. Teresa and Chelsea were allowed to finally come in. Ken, Jayton and Rob came in to give me a blessing which was real nice. 
The ER nurses then did something that I thought was odd; they handed a jug to my wife and asked her to collect my urine as they lifted me up to place gauze on my wound. First of all, I can't go if I know my wife is outside the door at home, let alone in a busy ER room. Second, when they lifted me up the pain was so intense I got all hot, white and sweaty and about passed out!

I asked Teresa to show me my clothes that they had cut off. The back of my shirt had a big tear in it, but when Teresa turned it around it also had a big chunk of meat stuck to it! Pretty nasty.
Well, I was taken into another room and prepped for surgery. I asked them to please make sure I was unconscious before they inserted the catheder. They obliged. I was in surgery for over an hour and ended up with lots of internal stitches and 25 staples on the outside as well as a tube
 sticking out for drainage. I woke up in my room with my family standing by me. Man, that first night was really bad. Teresa stayed until 2 AM with me then went home. 
Well, I had family and friends and even co-workers stop by over the next few days. I want to say thanks to all of them- it really means a lot to know people care. My family was well taken care of with food and love. I was able to get out Thursday evening from the hospital. It has been a struggle, especially with my shoulder; it really hurts and is in a sling. I will be involved with physical therapy for months! Teresa took a picture of my back wound. 
I ended up with 3 wrist bands- 1 for the ER, 2 for surgery 3 for general hospital admittance. 
Moral of the story, don't get hit by a car.
Or, suck it up and run in the heat

5 comments:

Jason said...

My thoughts, prayers, and best wishes are with you. Just heal up and rest easy. You've got people looking out for you.

Nancy said...

As bad as this was, we're so thankful that it didn't end up being worse. You do so much for everyone else and it was such a neat thing to see the outpouring of love towards you and your family. You are in a lot of peoples thoughts and prayers right now. We love you and know that you'll heal up quickly. By the way, Jayton did a fabulous job conducting today , just like a pro. You would've been proud.

Serena said...

Lol I wont tell her I promise... My dad has been playing it all day right now were listening to Charlie Brown. Ya that will be cool if you come see my band. Hope you're feeling better. -Serena

Ty Lyman said...

We are so grateful to know that you are ok. We have been praying for you and your family. I'm also grateful to know that we have had people on the inside of this tragedy. The nurse that took care of you in the ER is a good friend of ours, and the Dr. that did your surgery is an awesome Dr, he's one of Jakes friends also. When Jake heard who did your surgery he was very relieved to know that it was someone that he would trust his own family with. It's been comforting to know that Jake is right there working in the OR and could come and check on you after he was off work. I'm grateful that our prayers are answered. Just know that we love you and your family. Hang in there.

wengreen said...

Holy bucket man - ooch! I am glad to hear you are doing better.