Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pre-Thanksgiving Misgivings



Here's a couple Thanksgiving memories-
Of course we always had the Turkey Bowl football games. One year, probably late '70's, I get the ball in the open field and there is nothing but green and goal post in front of me. I ran as fast as my wee legs will let me. I'm jubilant as I picture scoring a touchdown when I see fingers coming into my vision from above. I feel a sharp scalp pain then see my feet in the air! My brother David chased me down, reached out and grabbed my hair and pulled me back causing a complete horizontal flop to the ground. But I held onto the ball!
Another rousing story from T-Day is when Carl ate so much he thought he was going to die. So, Carl, our friend Lance and I head over to Kaiser Hospital. While waiting Carl suddenly exclaims, "I need to barf!" So he grabs one of those kidney shaped plastic dish things, heads into the stairwell and proceeds to vomit about 3 times the amount that that poor little dish could hold. Lance and I lean through the door to see orange (with lots of black olives) barf everywhere and that little dish filled to rim and Carl saying, "I feel better... let's go." So we walk away leaving all the vomit in the stairway! Man, we suck! And why didn't he just find a bathroom?!?!
My Grandma Snyder, who was born in 1895, couldn't hear a thing and talking with her on the phone was BRUTAL. I recall a Thanksgiving in the early '80's when David answered the phone, said a couple words, then told me the phone was for me. I say Hello, only to hear my Grandma talking. David was beat red from laughing at me having to deal with her. The sad thing is I see myself acting too many times the way my dad did with his mother. I gotta be nicer or I am off to hell. (I've thrown in a couple pictures of Grandma, probably circa 1920 and then 1960) I do love my Grandma and she made the BEST coleslaw EVER! Too bad she took that recipe to the grave.
So with the Turkey Trot (who came up with that name? Sounds like what happens after eating too much then running) it is supposed to be wet and cool. Carl said the other day he would like to run one day in a blizzard. Well, last year was horribly cold and the wind was blowing from the east. Egads it wasn't fun. But I have learned that running with sweats isn't fun, and keeping a big sweatshirt leads to chaffing of the chest.

1 comment:

Serena said...

Oh My heck!! thats so funny how come I have never heard that story about my dad you need to share more stories with me! you are for sure going to tell us stories on thursday we will get the truth because Uncle David will be here and we always get the truth when all three of you tell stories together.:) Check me blog I have another new post on there.