Friday, November 21, 2008

Sometimes You Gotta Turn It Up


You know, every now and again you just gotta turn the volume up. I am at "11" (Spinal Tap joke) right now and enjoying it. My wife has left the house to attend a play, so it's all good. When I haven't listened to Zeppelin in a while and then put them on, well, it is rather therapeutic, especially after a nutty week at work. Plus, you just forget how great they were.
It is funny how different songs put you in different times and places. Ramble On and I am in Lance's dad's truck listening to an 8 Track tape of Led Zeppelin II. When the Levee Breaks and it is 6th grade cranking up my dad's Panasonic, giving it all it can take. The neighbors were probably cringing! Too bad. Immigrant Song and I am in the back of Steve Fisher's Toyota with these girls we picked up from Monta Vista High School. The funny memories are when listening to Physical Graffiti- I'm back with Lance, Carl and John at Christmas time driving in Lance's '79 Capri! Kashmir and Ten Years Gone really put me in the Christmas spirit. Yeah, that may sound odd, but true nonetheless.
So, I am trying to get all ready for the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. I am sooooo happy that running doesn't affect my back. It makes my shoulder hurt, but the back doesn't feel it until I am done, then it gets kinda funky feeling. I went to the surgeon a couple days ago. He said healing is in increments of 3 months, 6 months and 12 months. It will be 3 months on the 25th! Wow. He said the pain will take time, but with all the nerves that were cut the numbness is probably permanent. Let's just hope there aren't any continence issues. My shoulder still really hurts and the weather is freaking it out, too. Anyway, Jayton and I have run the 4 mile route the last 2 weeks. I have improved my time form last years race. He says that it is all due to him. And it is. He he keeps a brisk pace and pushes me. So, the goal is to beat my brother Carl by 10 minutes. I don't know if that is possible, but I will try. Don't tell him or we won't be let in for Turkey Dinner at his house!
I did attend the Spinning Class a couple times. You would think it would hurt my back, but it was the pressure on my shoulder that really killed me. And I wanted to wear my helmet in there, just in case.
Whew, how about this economy and the Changity-change-change that is going to take place. Oh, wait, Clinton cabinet, Lyndon B. Johnson and FDR ideals and tactics, hmm, oh well. Obama is too important to fail, so he will be given a bail out.

4 comments:

Serena said...

Don't Worry it is possible to beat my dad!! you probably will beat him by like 15 minutes. I'm so excited for Thanksgiving it's going to be soo much fun!! :)

Unknown said...

"You just forget how great they were."

Who forgets?

Great '75 pic of James Patrick.

Serena said...

uh I don't think so... I'm going to break my leg so that I can't do marching band right before we learn the drill I will brake my leg and then oops I can't do it. :)

Serena said...

Uncle Paul... you need a background cause your blog is boring cause it is just white.
-Michelle