Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independence Day

Well, I woke up at my usual time on account that I always wake up at 5:00, laid around for a while, then finally got out of bed at 5:15. I went upstairs and had a big bowl of Fiber One (Man, they should be supplying me for free for all the advertising!) then got dressed and ready to run. I had my iPod all ready with a 10K playlist. I stretched and hung out waiting for Jayton to pick me up, which he did at 6:20. We both grumbled that we are paying money to feel pain! We parked, got over to Kiawanis Park, then tied our Race Chip to our shoes. I had to go to the bathroom one last time so I headed over to the port-a-potties and waited in line!I made it back to the start of the race with a couple minutes to spare, but got right next to Jayton, which is miraculous with the thousands of people there. I never did find my brother, Carl, though. They shot off some kind of booming firework and we were off! To walk. It took a while to get the crowd moving, but your official time didn't start until your foot chip crossed the starting line. 
Jayton went ahead of me as we rounded our way onto 9oo East. I could see him the whole time and he was never more than a couple hundred feet ahead of me. We took a left by the Harmon Bldg and headed downhill. We took a left at the Chevron Station and headed south. Volunteers were handing out water, but it was too soon for that. We wove our way onto University A
venue right by Zions Bank (across from Provo High) and down the parade route! It was funny seeing everyone yelling for us. I saw the little KNRS tent and Bob Lonsberry broadcasting. I yelled "Hey Bob!" He waved. We ran passed a house that was cooking bacon. I wanted to stop. I tried to grab a water from the volunteers. You know, you can't, well I can't, run and drink out of a cup. I had more go up my nose than in my mouth! We made a left turn on 100 South then another left back to Center Street. We ran all the up by 7 Peaks then made a quick U-turn and
 came back down. At the turn, I didn't want Jayton to see me, which he didn't. A right turn back onto 900 East and back uphill! It was brutal. We turned back into Kiawanis Park and to the finish line. I managed to sprint it to the finish. I didn't realize that my wife and daughter were there with Jayton's wife, Beth. She took photos of me running. Wow, look at that muscle definition in my leg! 
So, I ended up with a 46:52 for the 10K. Jayton was at 46:23. Here are some pictures of us nice and squishy looking.
After getting home, our family ran over to Macey's for the French Toast breakfast. Yummy.
We came home, I dug up a sprinkler, and then we headed on out to my brothers for lunch. It's always fun going over there. Ivette always makes such awesome food! We laugh and mock each other and watched some of the Giants vs Dodgers game. We had to leave to get Chelsea to work at 4. Later we went to the Wakefield's, played games and had some delicious salsa from Rob Clegg, then we went to the back of a parking lot on State Street to watch the Stadium of Fire fireworks. The Clegg's, Wakefield's and Grover's all went. And Chantel's 
friend, Skyler, came, too. Beth brought cake, and I'm not turning that down... ever!
We watched the show then got ready to leave. Thomas Grover yelled at Skyler in German a few times, which really warms my heart. Ah, German, the language of love.
We got home and had to light off our fireworks. Oye, are they not all the same orange sparks with the white, crackling sparkles!?!
So, there you have it. It was a fun and tiring day. My legs don't really hurt today, in fact I got up and went for a bike ride this morning. 
I guess I will need to train so I can beat Jayton in a race. I wonder if he'd be as ticked as my brother? 

3 comments:

Jason said...

In the first photo, there is a dude in front of you wearing a Cardinals T-shirt. Yippie!

I'm proud of you for making it through the race...I'm not even close to a 5K yet...I could probably do a 3K. :)

Paul said...

I knew you'd like that one, Jason, that's one of the reasons I chose that photo!

Lauriann said...

good job old man. :) Perry decided at the last minute to pass on this run otherwise he would have saw you.

Glad to find your blog- and see what the fam is up to.