Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summertime Blues





I find it funny how different songs will elicit different memories. Like how No Quarter from the Song Remains the Same will ever be tied to dancing with Amy Dixon, who was a good foot taller than me, at Sandy's backyard party. My neck hurt so bad by the time we were done (it is a good 14 plus minute song) but man it was worth it! Any Air Supply song and I am right back at Stake Dances in California.
Well, in my iTunes library I have a number of Allman Brothers songs and any time 
they come up I am back in the summer of the 70's. I miss those days! I have two older brothers and one younger brother. We would get up whenever, watch Alice and Laverne & Shirley reruns, hang out with the dudes on the street, go over to the school across the street and play baseball, go swimming at the high school, hit the beach, and hang out in the evenings. Total freedom. We would beg people for their bottles then take them over to Safeway and get the deposit money and buy some junk. Plus, every year we would make the trek from the Bay Area in CA to visit my grandparents in Utah, who lived up in the hills above the Provo Temple. Those were always exciting trips. We would load up on all kinds of junk food for the trip and would buy a ton of Mad Magazines and Mad books. This was also back in the day when no one was really wearing seat belts. I recall a great deal of the trip would be spent up in the back window of the car as we seemed to be traveling for days through Nevada! We would sit on my dad's lap and he would "let" us steer the car. One year we dropped down south instead of just getting onto I-80. We stopped at Calico Ghost Town. We bought
 corncob pipes and my grandma wouldn't even talk to us about them! It was my ONLY time ever traveling through Las Vegas. This is back before it's major transformation; it was still where Sammy Davis Jr., Sinatra & Dean Martin were kicking butt.   
Anyway, the music has me waxing nostalgic. I even rode my bike up around Oak Hills just to get the smell of the bushes and trees that are up there. I just hope my own children will have
 these kind of memories to look back on and not just that gas is so freaking expensive.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Air Supply..."foot taller..." So, I have to wonder if Amy Dixon was smothering you...you said it was worth it.

Maybe I should stop.

ANDREA said...

those are really RAD pictures! like really candid and vintagey and i just think theyre way cool