Saturday, June 7, 2008

The 4th Day




Last night my wife took an Ambien again. It was too funny because she was getting all woosy about ten minutes before bed. Chantel and I were cracking up. My bed and I still aren't buddies yet. I got up at 7 local time and did the ritual Fiber Uno, scriptures, shower,
 etc. I did wake up my wife a wee bit after 8 so we could get going before noon! We actually left the hotel before 10! The heat is horrid! The humidity is around 80%. The Race for the Cure was just winding down. I can't believe people were running in the heat! We walked to the Holocaust Museum, got tickets, then went and watched the 13 minute Rise of Nazism down stairs. Pretty interesting. Then we went through the tour. It was very educational. You know, I can see parallels in our own society as was started back then. One main thing was how they started the terror of not being able to speak your point of view for fear of getting on the bad list. I see that happening with the whole political correctness problem we have; 
we can't say what we really think anymore without a huge fear of getting ripped on.
Anyway, walking through the box car was pretty weird and seeing all the shoes made me think that each pair was a person.
We left that museum and went in the oppressive heat to the Smithsonian Castle. That was pretty boring, so we went to the Natural History Museum. That was pretty fun. I was shocked to see how everyone piled in to see the Hope Diamond. Chantel and I laughed as we made like the hippo. While we were there, I called the Nationals so we could see about changing our tickets to go tonight. They said we could, so we left to come back to our hotel. Chantel and I ran up to Potbelly's for some sandwiches and shakes, and I bought a oatmeal chocolat
e chip cookie! Their sandwiches are wonderful. 
We went to the Metro and went to the Navy Yard stop. We went to the ticket window and changed out our tickets. Holy crap it was hot!!! We sat in the shade while waiting for the game to start. Luckily, about 15 minutes before the game started, clouds moved in. We were sitting up from 1st base. I was surprised to see so many Giants fans there. 
The last time I took my wife to a baseball game it was a boring 1-0 pitcher's duel. Well, the game was 0-0 going into the top of the 8th inning. Finally, the Giants broke it open, scored a couple runs, then we saw a grand slam! Classic! There was a pretty major lightening storm starting to happen over DC. Well, the Nationals stunk it up, the game ended 6-0 for the Giants, yeah, and we started herding out like animals. As everyone was walking, there was lots of lightning and thunder and then it rained with huge big drops while we pushed to get into the Metro station. We three held hands so we could stay together. Once in we packed onto the trains. We made a transfer and then came home. That was Chantel's first Major League Baseball game. The Nationals Ball Park is quite nice. For the
 first 7 innings the best part was the presidents race! (that's where the mascots all run from center field. But Teddy Roosevelt came cruising in on a little motorcycle.) There were two women who sat in front of us, one was a Nationals fan with hat and jersey, the other a Giants fan with hat and jersey. They were pretty funny. 
So, here we are, Teresa is all loaded up with Ambien again, actually, she's already out! Chantel just bailed and I am ready, too. It's been a really enjoyable day.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I'll just comment here instead of on each one. Your rainy day on the 1st day explains the Cardinals' rain out. Oh well, they still took 2 out of 3.

I first visited D.C. in May of my senior year, and it was my first experience with humidity. Yeah, it takes a lot to get used to. Sounds like you're all having fun, and I'm glad the Giants won. It doesn't happen to often, does it.

Speaking of society not getting it, be sure to read my blog post of today...