Monday, June 9, 2008

Sunday in DC ( Day 5)






Since it is a day of rest, I got up at 7:30 and let the women sleep in. Chantel got up after 10. Teresa was all looped up on Ambien again, so she needed a couple extra hours to shake it off. The only way to describe my bed is that I fell like I am sleeping in a bowl! We were out of milk and Pop Tarts, so I ran on down to the CVS Drugstore. DC is kind of weird on a Sunday morning with no one around.  The high humidity is still a shock every time you walk out the door. The sad thing was the CVS store was having AC problems and was actually hotter than outside! I touched a bag of Resses Peanut Butter Cups and they were all smooshy. I came back and turned the TV on and was so excited about the Sham-Wow towel. I wanted to order, but Teresa wouldn't let me.
So after we all got up, dressed and ready, we headed out to the National Archives. We got there at 11:45 and had to wait in the blistering sun for 35 minutes. Holy crap it was hot! You know, we watch and see the forecast, which
 cracks us up, because it will
 be record heat until we leave, then it goes back to normal. I understand Utah is in the 60's and rainy, but I'm sure once we get back it will heat up (but it will be a dry heat). I digress. As the line started moving and got within 10 feet of the door we could feel the AC spilling out. Oh, sweet blessed relief! We make our way up to see the documents. It's funny that we thought about National Treasure and how they were having a party right there in that room. The room is not well lit and there's no flash photography. As we made our way to see the Declaration of Independence, there was a lady who was videotaping each document... for a long time. Even her family was getting ticked that she was clogging the lane. It is amazing to see these documents and what they stand for. It's also surprising how faded they are. They even have the Louisiana Purchase document there as well as a few others.
I stepped back to look at the two huge paintings on the wall showing the Declaration and also the Constitution. The legend of the painting depicting the men involved also stated who didn't sign onto these documents. I just thought how they could have and should have been on the right side of history, but ooooh they blew it! Again, why don't the very people who are in Washington get what it's all about? They need to have a tour and refresher course about American History.
After the document room, we wandered around and looked at many of the displays. I looked at the political cartoon display set up. It made me think back to my Illustration class and when I did a lengthy report on Thomas Nast. Chantel was very intrigued with a number of things in there. 
We finally left and went over to the Museum of Art. That place is huge! We stopped for a drink
 of water and a snack outside before going in. We looked at a few rooms then found many rooms full of sculptures. It was pretty cool. We then went looking for and found the Da Vinci painting. Pretty neat. Next we searched for and found the French Impressionists. They had Monet, Manet, Matisse, Renoir, Cassat, and I even found Van Gough's self portrait. It was pretty awesome. We came around to a huge fountain and Chantel & I couldn't resist striking a pose. There is a cafe type place in there, too, but I had to laugh becaus
e we are in no way snooty enough to sip wine, each little delicasies and discuss art.
Our feet were killing us, but we pushed on and out the door into the stifling heat. My brother called and said he was watching the Nationals-Giants game and it was 114 on the field! I am so happy we traded our tickets and went to the night game! We went across the street to the Newseum. Chantel really wants to go to it. We got over there and the lady at the door suggested we come back because it was going to close in an hour and 20 minutes. So we walked to the Metro station and went to Union Station. It's kind of pathetic because we could have walked, but the heat and our feet, no way.
Once there we went to the US Postal Museum. That was kind of quaint and fun. They booted us out at closing time so we skipped, not literally, to Union Station and ate at the American Restaurant. They started with these wonderful little rolls. After we ordered and received our food, I asked our waiter for more rolls. He brought more silverware. I asked again and he brought a small plate. I asked one of the other dudes there for more rolls, he obviously couldn't speak English, so he gave some kind of grunt and moved on. I asked again for more rolls and our waiter brought me more salad dressing! We were cracking up. Finally, another waiter brought us some rolls, said something to our waiter, who then brought us more rolls, too! Oh
 well. The food was fine and we got back onto the Metro and decided to call it a day. Chantel and I tried figuring out a crossword puzzle and Teresa tried Soduku-ing, but we all were mentally challenged by that time and gave up. So, what better way to continue to numb the senses than to watch a DVD! We put National Treasure on the lap top and sat on they bed. We were laughing at the fact of the lighting and party going on in the document room. After the movie, Teresa and Chantel started battling for the cell phone of which Chantel keeps getting texts from the 22 year old. Geeze. 

No comments: