Monday, June 9, 2008

DC 6






I was having dreams of flying in very small wooden planes in the front yard of my house that I grew up in, probably from seeing the Air Mail planes. Oh, but then I'm rudely awaken by bedspring number 17 in my kidney! (My wife is right now popping an Ambien, so she'll be rather fun in about 15 minutes) Well, I let them sleep in until 9:30 to 10:15. We got all showered and dressed and then headed out the door, greeted by the already 90 degree weather and high humidity. I only have 2 dark colored shirts left, which doesn't bode well for being out in the sun. I had Teresa take a picture of me and Chantel in front of the FBI building. 
Our first, and main stop, was at the Newseum on Pennsylvania Ave. It was an expensive
 excursion, but we had a great time. We started off with checking out a couple sections of the Berlin Wall. Then we rode the tallest hydraulic elevators in the world to the 6th floor. We checked out the view and got a couple pictures and read a little history about Pennsylvania Ave. We went to the 5th floor and looked through the big exhibit there. We jumped down to the 3rd floor for a demonstration about a news studio. Some old gentleman kep
t asking rather random questions. You could feel other people cringing every time his hand went up. 
We ran back up to the 5th floor and looked at some more things then watched a
 video on this huge long screen.
The 4th floor had a big 9-11 exhibit and also info on the 1st Amendment. We then got to the 2nd floor and Chantel did a little newscast thing.
 It was pretty funny. We will be able to download it tomorrow off the internet. Maybe we will share the address. Then we went to
 the 1st floor and checked out some stuff and watched a 4-D movie. It was actually pretty cool. The whole experience was pretty cool. I thought it looked familiar from the George Stefanopolous Sunday morning show, and sure enough they shoot it there each week.
We walked out into the blasted heat! We walked up to the Capitol Building. Chantel and I wanted to go do "I'm just a Bill, stuck here on Capitol Hill", but you can't even get close to the steps now days. We walked around to the Library of Congress and went in for a looksee before they booted us all out and closed up. 
So, we walked a couple blocks and boarded the Metro. Of course there had been a train that had jumped it's tracks on the Orange Line. We had to wait an extra 20 minutes, but sitting down there is still better than walking in the heat. We made it back to the beautiful and amenity bare Hotel Harrington so the women folk could take a wee breather. I jumped out to take a few pictures of the hotel and such. 
When they finally got ready to roll, we went to Elephant & Castle for dinner. I got guilted into ordering the Bangers & Mash so that Thomas Grover wouldn't be mad at me. They were tasty, and they came with baked beans and a delicious apple chutney. I also ordered a side salad. They sausages were nothing like the sausages that I ate in New Zealand. We waited forever for our
 waiter to come back, then ordered desert. Chantel and I shared a brownie and ice cream dish called Big Ben Brownie, which we were shocked to see when they brought it out, and Teresa had an apple crisp. Totally bloated! We waited for a long time again for our waiter, got the check, paid and were done. We waddled back here and are laying around doing crossword puzzles, Soduku and this. I can't believe our trip will be done tomorrow! I think our other girls are missing us. We miss them.
My wife is now woozy and can't walk a straight line! Lightweight!

No comments: