Friday, June 6, 2008

DC 3

Well, here we are on day 3 of our trip. Wow, my bed is bad. I have named each spring that sticks in my back. I got up and going again at around 7-ish. It's funny eating Fiber Uno in a cup in the bathroom. I showered and all, read my scriptures, and waited for Teresa and Chantel to wake up. My wife didn't take an Ambien last night so even though we walked 100 miles, she didn't sleep too well. By the way, the Ambien are left-overs from my European trip last year. I didn't need them. So, they finally got up, showered and dressed, and even had a Pop Tart, then we planned our day. We finally left at 11:45!!!
We caught the Metro at the Federal Triangle stop and headed up to the Arlington Cemetery. Once there we bought the $7 tour. Well worth it. It is interesting to s
ee the Eternal Flame for President Kennedy, and to look down the road where the funeral procession made it's way up. Also, today is the 40th anniversary of R
obert Kennedy's assassination, so there were lots of flowers at his small marker and wooden cross. 
We stopped to see the changing of the guard at the Unknown Soldier Monument. Man, it was hot. The Lord bless those servicemen who participate in that ritual. We jum
ped over to see the mast of the USS Maine that blew up in Havana sparking the Spanish-American War. 
Our final stop on that little tour was the Robert E. Lee House. It was interesting to see the whole place and to hear how Lee quit his post to join the Con
federacy. The thing that many people I know who have been to
 the South say is that the Civil War is still going on. The cemetery was an interesting place to visit and to contemplate our nation's history. I wish everyone had a chance to be here and feel what I am feeling as I learn about our heritage.
We hopped back onto the Metro and stopped at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. We walked all around there and learned a lot of interesting things. We should have started at the Air side and not the Space side. 
After that it was too late and everything was closed. We walked through the National Sculpture Garden where there was a Jazz concert going on. People were laying all around on blankets and drinking adult beverages and eating and such. I was appalled at what is considered "art" and is actually in a National Sculpture Garden! Those artists must have been snickering the whole way to the bank.
We came back to figure out a place to eat and ended up pretty much right across the street at Qdoba's. Chantel had a chicken quesadilla and Teresa and I had salads. It was tasty enough and not too expensive. We came back upstairs for a break then back down to Maggie Moos so Chantel could get an ice cream. The service was horrendous and chaotic, but the ice cream was delicious (I snuck a taste). Then, I got a piece of chocolate cake from Harriet's Restaurant in the lobby. Yes, I ate cake; double chocolate with a cherry! I didn't eat much of the frosting, I'm not much into that, but I like the cake. So, I feel fatter and happier. Hey, Glenn Beck is on! (can you tell we don't have cable at home?) 

No comments: