Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Drawing


I haven't done much artwork for the longest time. After Christmas I was thinking that I really miss my favorite medium and what I really enjoyed doing- charcoal and charcoal portraits. So I headed over to Michael's to get some paper. I used to buy the best paper from the BYU Bookstore, but it has been MIA for over a decade, but I was happy with the paper at Michael's. I went through a big stack that had a crease in the same spot throughout the stack. I finally got one that wasn't too bad. So I gingerly take it to the registrar to pay. I thought I was showing the price tag easy enough to the clerk but she grabbed the sheet to scan it. I thought the way I was holding it was a sign that being delicate was the order, but, you know when you assume...
Anyway, I am working on a portrait of my brother John. (anytime I say my brother John I always think of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. You have to be a Genesis fan, a real fan.)
So I thought I would show where I am at so far, about 3 hours into it. I always start with the eyes because if they don't look right then there's no use going on. I am enjoying it even though I don't have a real good place to work. My wife probably wanted to slug me in the gut for hooking up my halogen lamp to the new desk in Chantel's room (hey, it used to be my art room).
I will keep you posted on the progress.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Looks like a fine start.

You're going back to the P. Gabriel Genesis. Wowzers.

Brad Frandsen said...

wow... amazing!

Serena said...

wow it looks great thats a precious brotherly moment! You and my dad and your old people music lol

Ty Lyman said...

Very impressive, Kurt wants to as well as you do. I'm going to show him what you're doing. He has charcoal too. Infact Grandma Lyman has made him a deal....if he keeps drawing she'll keep him supplied. Can he come watch you? He doesn't know anyone that share's this passion. It looks totally realistic.